Friday, September 21, 2007

Throwdowns, crotch kicks, and crying fits

So. I'm a teacher. The title of this post references things that have actually happened in my classroom since the first of the schoolyear.

For those of you who may not remember, I'm teaching 7th grade math and 8th grade Geometry. Do you remember what 7th grade was like? These kids are squirrelly!! Many have issues with authority and structure, probably due to their home situations. Our school is largely low-income, minority kids, and I have to admit, that takes some getting used to.

Teaching is, by far, the most difficult job I've ever had. There's just so much planning that goes into it! I never feel completely prepared, and that bothers me. It's like you could work 24 hours a day and still find things to do.

Classroom management is a struggle for me... I don't want to be mean, but sometimes I have to be in order to get the point across. I had to go in this week and really lay down the law, because it felt like my authority was quickly slipping away.

I don't know, folks. So far, this isn't fun. It's stressful, it's more hours than you would expect, and when I get home, I am EXHAUSTED. I kinda like a job where I just get left alone to do my work, and then go home and do whatever I want. Teaching does not fit that mold. I know it's early to be having second thoughts, but I can't help it.

Okay, more typing later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Here's my pep talk... it will get better. You'll get a routing going and you will feel prepared, you will start feeling less exhausted (promise, although each new year brings a few weeks/month or so of fresh exhaustion) and the fact that your second guessing your classroom management skills mean to me that you are dong a much better job than you think! Keep it up- I would put my kids in your class any day!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and that's routine, not routing. After re-reading my comment, I'm so proud to be using my English degree at it's best.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Richard Swayze said...

can haz teh updatez plz? k, thnx.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Middle School Survivor said...

You are just going to have to join facebook! It's easier to update. :)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

So, have ya given up on blogging? :( I agree...it's a lot easier to connect with people on Facebook. DO IT!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok ONE post since Easter last year?!?! Time to join facebook Corrie...everyone is doing it!

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see more ZZ Top motorcycle photos! :)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home